PRECEPTOR TRAINING PROGRAMME
Welcome to the Lonsdale Education Centre preceptor training programme.
The contents of this virtual training is intended for Registered Nurses who are involved in the preceptorship of internationally qualified nurses (IQNs) and under graduate student nurses working in clinical environments.
By the end of this virtual training you will be able to:
• Understand the importance of preceptorship in supporting nurses in New Zealand
• Utilise an understanding of individual learning styles to support their own and others’ learning
• Communicate how cultural safety and Treaty of Waitangi knowledge is applied in practice and relates closely to the preceptor relationships between staff members and patients
• Understand the Health Practitioners Competence Assurance Act 2003 and how it relates to your professional practice while preceptoring others
• Competently assess candidates verbal and written English in the clinical environment
• Support candidates in demonstrating competence to practice, while ensuring/verifying they meet New Zealand Nursing Council standards of safety
• Understand and utilise constructive feedback methods when supporting others
• Understand how the Lonsdale programme supports IQNs and local staff to meet their learning goals and support professional development in clinical practice